News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Need a wheel...

Started by Bogus Jim, September 07, 2011, 08:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogus Jim

Well this is a long shot with the rally next weekend, but does anyone have a wr250r front wheel that I can borrow for 2 weeks starting this Saturday the 10th? I was planning to leave on a trip, found a crack in the front rim tonight.

If it was rear I'd probably ride it but a failure on the front rim would not be pretty...

The Yeti

I'd let you borrow mine Jim if I wasn't planning on going to the rally next week, sorry!
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

jacin theis

If you let me ride on your damaged wheel at the rally, you can use mine. Lets see if we can make yours a catasrophic failure :evil.... give me a call if you want to swap until you get a replacement. 545-1658. you can even use my garge to swap them.
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

Bogus Jim

Thanks for the offer Jacin... the WRF and WRR have different front hubs/rotors though. I wish Yamaha had used more WRF parts when they designed the WRR but the bikes have almost no parts in common.

Plan B is to take the wheel to Woody's in Denver, he said they could probably lace up an Excel in a couple days.

loingrader

plan B sounds like the way to go.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

jacin theis

i will be interested in your experience with Woodys. i haver recently noticed a wobble in the front of my GS when braking and a bit when going down the road. My thoughts were to try Woodys. sorry you cant use my wheel. that seems a bit silly, but i am not an engineer.
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

Bogus Jim

Quote from: jacin theisi have recently noticed a wobble in the front of my GS when braking and a bit when going down the road.

That's what happens when you try to keep up with Josh in the rocky stuff.  ;D  We both have bad rims now...

Quote from: jacin theisi will be interested in your experience with Woodys.

I will let you know, I sent the hub in today. Should have it back Thurs/Fri, I hope.

Sportfaller

I want a woodys 21/18 set for my bike, anyone want to donate me a pair?
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

Bogus Jim

Well, an update. I sent the hub in on Sep. 8th. I got the wheel back on the 15th, with new Excel rim. Unfortunately the rotor was missing. Called Woody's, they said they noticed the mistake and sent the rotor on the 15th. On the 20th, the rotor still wasn't here. Called Woody's, they said they shipped to the wrong address. Latest is UPS may have the rotor here on the 26th. Final score: $375 on the credit card, bike is down for 2 1/2 weeks, cancelled my 2-week continental divide trip, missed the fall rally, wasted a week of vacation waiting for the rotor during some of the best riding weather of the entire year. The new wheel looks great but I gotta give two thumbs down on Woody's service. Not sure I can send them any more business.

I found a local shop in the Black Hills that builds wheels. I think I'll try them the next time I need a wheel laced. The mechanics seem really friendly too. Here's a photo of the shop and a new wheel installation on a Kawasaki.

Hank

That's my favorite shop too.  :evil  I wonder if those are steel toes....

I think your experience is the first negative thing I've heard about Woody's, but they definitely dropped the ball.