News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Honda XR650L vs. Kawasaki KLR 650

Started by JoniJo, July 10, 2010, 09:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoniJo

OK guys....don't start throwing punches just yet. I know there are a lot of devout KLR fans out there. Adding to that, I already think I know the answer to my question. Also, if you'll remember from my previous thoughts, I think a dual sport bike is a dirt bike with a plate on it. Demented I know.......

Why don't you see more XR650L's on the dual sport circuit?

Honda                                    Kawasaki
346 lbs.                                  432 lbs.
5 speed                                  5 speed
About 11" of travel frt and rr      About 8"
2.8 Gallon Tank                        6.1 gallons     (Could add a Clarke 4.7 gallon tank to the XR for about $225)

The Answer.......The XR can't compete on the highway with the KLR.

Any thoughts?

I'm just sayin'......  JoniJo
JoniJo

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -

Thomas Jefferson

JoniJo

.....me again... Didn't realize that the XR is still air cooled. That stinks....   JoniJo
JoniJo

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -

Thomas Jefferson

Lee Bruns

If I could see any advantage to liquid cooling in this application, that might be an edge, but I've yet to see a DR650 or XR650 have any issue with longevity due to engine overheating.
    Edge XR for offroad riding. Edge DR650 for dual sport riding and Edge KLR if you want a nice streetbike that looks like a dual sporter.
   Upside to the XR and DR, no chain driven coutnerbalancer to mess with.
If you're looking for a dirtbike with a licence plate on it, the XR is your answer.
I'm looking forward to the day Yamaha decides to get into this market. That might be a heck of a nice bike.

fringefan

I will stel a line from loingrader; It is a never ending debate with the KLR but once price is factored in, the KLR always wins. KLR is not as good off road as the DR or XR but in terms of comfort it is hands down KLR and mines seems to move down the trail just fine. I think the only issue with the KLR is the suspension but no other bike out of the box competes without needing to be upgraded especially if you want to haul gear.

Botttom line is you have to look at your budget and what you want to do with it. If price is no issue you buy a KTM or BMW for better road or dirt bikes.

Dr Psyko

I have a Dr and a relativily new KLR and most of you know my son and I just got back from the Hills, about 1800 miles round trip. The Dr is definitely better on the trail, but for the 1000 plus miles on the road, I was glad to be on the KLR and the trade off is easy. Trailering, or live close to good trail riding? Very different equation.
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

Lee Bruns

Weird, Chocolate and Vanilla I guess
DR costs less than the DR, so its not a cost thing.
And I did 1000 mile days under competative LD rally conditions with no complaints on my DR650, so it sure isn't a ride quality edge. Then there is that 80 lb weight difference.
  I've written it off as peer pressure. "Dr Greg rides a KLR so it must be better".
For a nice street bike that can handle the occasional gravel road, a Versys would be a better choice than the KLR.
   Anyone know the weight comparison between a KLR650 and the Versys 650?
HEY Dr, Psycho, are you running a Sweet Cheeks on the DR? that made ALL the difference for me. 25 dollar solution for the long miles, and removed in seconds once the pavement ends.

Hank

You did a 1000 mile day on your DR, but I also remember you telling me you were going to try one on a 50cc Yamaha of some kind too :)

Lee Bruns

It was the Yamaha 'special' 50cc with a 6 speed. I never was able to get the title sorted out so the idea was shelved for now.
It had a cruising speed of about 55 mph so a 1000 mile day was within reason, (with a fuel cell obviously).

Number Two

woah woah woah... XR650L = dirt bike with a liscense plate?  You're making an xr650R owner blush. 

The biggest difference in popularity between the KLR and the XRL is probably the seat height.  37 inches is pretty tall for the average Joe. 

Why then is the KLR so incredibly popular?  It's ugly, heavy, sheds parts, and on occasion, may even smell bad.  The reality is that it's what works best for the most of the people doing most of the riding that we do.  I'm not happy about it, but it's true: The KLR is the best dual sport bike out there.

However, more than logic and reason, your bike must make you grin when you see it in the garage.

JoniJo

Thanks for all your input.
Right now I'm thinking about towing my KLX with my Valkyrie. Best of both worlds? Probably not.
By the way.... I'm heavy into the GRIN  :) factor
                                                                Thanks again, JoniJo
JoniJo

Thomas Jefferson

grubbie

Yamaha is noticeably absent from this market, not sure why. I would love to see a WR450R or even a XT450. However,...Suzuki has the DR400, and it didn't seem to me to be any more powerful than the WR250R. So maybe they know what they are doing. I think that XT660 would be great competition for the DR and KLR, but they would have to keep the price down. That KLR is pretty hard to beat when it comes to "bang for the buck".

fringefan

Bottom line why the KLR is so loved is because it is cheap especially if you pick up a used one and not many other bikes can rival the amount of after market parts to be had for it.

Bogus Jim

Well let's not forget, Chuck Norris rides a KLR. I would not want to argue with that guy about the best dual-sport.

numb41

I wish yamaha would bring the tt500 back.

loingrader

you can find a nice klr650 for less than $1500 all day long, they are a blast on the road and if you can't get it someplace off road, you aren't trying hard enough.  they have great fuel range, decent seats and ergonomics and pretty good hauling capacity without spending a penny on aftermarket parts. 

if you do want to find some aftermarket goodies, there aren't many bikes with as many parts available.

plus, they are tanks (heavy and basically bulletproof).

klr/dr/xrl/xrr are all awesome bikes.  for the riding i do and the money i wanted to spend, klr650 and i've never looked back.  (and i'm a honda guy!)
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro