Moose Run - Dual Sport Rally - Aug. 3-5, 2012 - Walden, CO

Started by snooker, June 01, 2012, 03:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snooker

Hello to all my northern buddies!  Wanted to let you know about this 2nd annual event - it's really not that far to get to Walden, it is in the North Park area of north central Colorado.

Here's the website for more info. They want you to register early of course (but I'm guessing it won't sell out): http://frontrangeriders.com/?page_id=29

I had a blast at last year's Moose Run, hoping to see some of you all this year. It's pretty amazing that they set up 3 loops: A for plated dirt bikes on single track, B for up to 650 ish dual sports on 4WD and some ST, and C for bigger bikes all on dirt and paved roads.  I did the B loop last year and will be doing it again this year on my 650.  If you are doing the A loop it is amazing - these trails were installed by dirt bikers in the last decade or so and are quite fantastic!

It was very well organized and actually is an AMA sanctioned event.  It is a local charity event with a fee of $75 but it includes trail routes, the cost for camping, a t-shirt and catered dinner on Sat.  Discount for AMA members.

Here's some pics I took from last year's ride: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16504860&postcount=183

Here's the thread on Adv as well: http://advrider.com/forums///showthread.php?t=754167

I'll try to watch this thread for questions, otherwise PM me (snooker) on Adv..

-matt

p.s. see my 2012 Baja Trip pics and report at http://mattsnook.com/bmw/20120212Baja/index.htm

snooker

Hey!  It's time to signup!   After all the dust at the DDSR rally (hey it happens) it reminded me of one thing that is really quite cool about the Moose Run.  They publish maps and directions for each loop, they arrow the routes and even pre-ride it to make sure it is all ready to go.  This means that you can pick your loop and ride in any size group you want.  Last year was the inaugural year and I ended up riding solo on the B loop, though you would run into people along the way for awhile.  I broke my gear shift lever and another ride was along in 5 minutes on the same trail asking if I needed help (used my needle nose vise grips for the next 2 days :)

Since there are NO gas stations along the routes, they even have a gas truck in the middle area and you simply tell them ahead of time how much gas you'll want.  You dirt bikers for loop A singletrack should have no problem with a short tank range.  And you guys touring on 1200's can take the C loop and stay on graded dirt roads and local highways. 

The tent camping and RV parking at the county fairgrounds is FREE (no hookups), includes a t-shirt and BBQ dinner, all for an AMA sanctioned event for $75 with proceeds going to a local charity NYPUM to help troubled youths by taking them on dirt bike rides.  Discount of $10 to AMA members.  They have under 100 riders signed up so far but are hoping to get twice that.  It was a great group last year, non-pretentious good people, reminded me of DDSR actually.

And I will buy every one of you from DDSR that shows up a nice cold beverage of your choice!  How's that for hospitality?  Oh yeah this is not near the High Park fire zone so no worries about that. 

Jeff (Hellsickle) the route planner just published the mileages for the main loops on the AdvRider thread above.  Looks like this:

A-loop: ~135 miles total, ~130 miles of dirt. (guestimating ~50 miles of single track)
B-loop: ~125 miles total, ~110 miles of dirt.
C-loop: 150-170 miles

So come on down and ESCAPE FROM RALLY WEEK !  ;D    Gerry?   Jacyn?   Josh?  ...   everybody!

jacin theis

I'll take that beverage offer! 8)  Just signed up for the "C" loop. No way i am going to miss this after all the grief you gave last year. Will leave early Friday morning and see you there.  Any one want to ride together?
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

Hank

We talked pretty seriously about going to this one but in the end signed up for the CADVR rally in Wisconsin.  Let us know how it goes!

jacin theis

1100 GS

Sportfaller

Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

jacin theis

Its one day Josh. I think your getting strep..... we leave friday am, back sunday. NP.
1100 GS

Sportfaller

Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

greatbuffalo

Josh,
Do you have to save your vacation for a honeymoon?  Its not too late.
:evil
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Sportfaller

Josh

NDave

Jacin things look good for Walden          Still not sure about Vee on loop c with no skid plate    plan to register on arrival fri as they have 290 spots       I emailed  frontrange riders with ? on c loop      no reply yet

jacin theis

Sounds good Dave. Where Gerry and Fletch, and Yeti and all you other dual sporters?  Loingrader?  I know Josh is out, his girlfreind said he has to pick out flowers or mints or something. Whatever. In a couple of years she'll tell him to go riding.....
1100 GS

loingrader

2 little kids and a busy summer counts me out of most of the fun rides.  I consider myself fortunate to get in 2 ddsr rallys and 1 road trip this summer!
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

The Yeti

Father in law's health issues are keeping me around home for the foreseeable future.  :-(
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Fletch

stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike